Yoga and mindfulness instruction are powerful evidence-based practices that support children's physical, mental, emotional and social health.
From physical poses that enhance healthy growth and development, to breathing practices that reduce stress and anxiety, to exercises that build focus by helping children to navigate internal and external distractions, these approaches support kids in every dimension of learning and social-emotional wellness.
increase strength and flexibility| improve balance and coordination | promote relaxation and healthy sleep | assist neuromuscular development
enhance concentration and focus | increase attention span and memory | improve executive functioning | manage over-stimulation
emotional resilience | anxiety relief | self-manage energetic states | connect to self, the world, and others
enhance cooperation and peer relationships | increase empathy and compassion| reduce bullying | promote teamwork and community
Yoga can empower kids who are struggling with issues of identity, belonging, and self-acceptance
Immigrant and refugee children
Those belonging to ethnic and racial minority groups
Children who have experienced abuse, neglect, or other traumatic events
Kids living with special needs such as ADHD and autism
adolescents navigating normal developmental stresses and rites of passage
Pregnant and parenting teens
Incarcerated or institutionalized youth
Educational Standards Alignment
Kids' Yoga Nashville programs:
Meet national standards for health and fitness education, including National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) standards and the CDC's National Health Education Standards (NHES)
Facilitate learning readiness, which can improve student achievement in core learning as outlined in state and national curriculum standards. Over a decade of research demonstrates the powerful role that yoga instruction can play in addressing issues (such as inattention, anxiety, social conflict and poor physical health) that impede students' readiness to learn.
Promote the five social and emotional learning competencies identified by the the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL): self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision making.
Kids' Yoga Nashville programs for schools
1. Yoga in the Classroom (School Programming)
- Yoga, mindfulness, and social-emotional learning programs for Pre-K through 12th grade
- 30 - 60 minute programs for any time of the school year and any slot in the school day
- Physical education (mat-based) or classroom (desk-based) options
- Fall, spring and summer breaks
- Afterschool programs
2. Relax, Refresh, Reboot, and Renew: Self-Care for Educators (Teacher Workshop Series)
- Mindfulness and relaxation techniques to help teachers address the everyday stresses of working in a demanding educational environment
- Support for educators to maintain self-care practices
- 8 - 12 week school-based series
3. Yoga Tools for the Classroom (Teacher Workshop)
- Build a handy toolbox of yoga and mindfulness techniques to use in the classroom.
- Learn how to incorporate yoga and mindfulness games and activities into transitions between subjects, brain breaks, morning meeting, recess, testing, individual or class "timeout"
- Ongoing series or single-day staff development formats available
Go here for information on scheduling a program with Kids' Yoga Nashville for your school or site.