Sample programs include:
Dancing the Food Web: Exploring Predator-Prey Rrelationships
The History of Planet Earth: A Rock Formation is Born
Energy Waves: Force and Motion in Action
The Secret Lives of Birds: Where and How Birds Live and Migrate and How Humans Impact Their Habitats
Wild, Wonderful Oceans! A Deep Dive into the Life of the Sea
Programs will include the following components:
1) Creative movement warmups that teach the elements of dance and give children movement tools for individual and group choreography.
2) Exploration of the selected topic using a combination of class and small group discussion, appropriate texts (including picture books, chapter books, and fiction and non-fiction books), pictures, audio and/or video relevant to the topic, and physical materials.
3) Guided movement exploration using selected concepts from the topic as inspiration and that demonstrate knowledge of the elements of dance as taught.
4) Creation of whole class and/or small group and/or individual choreographic pieces using the above processes.
5) Informal showings of student work in class and potentially slightly more formal showings for other classes and members of school community.
6) Discussion of process touching on the students' learning in dance and the selected topic.
Residency details (including topic selection) will be discussed during the planning process, which includes a conference (via phone or Skype) between the artist and teachers or other school staff involved in the residency. Please feel free to request a program on a topic not listed here, and I will create a custom residency for your school.